Steps to Become a USA Hockey Coach
USA Hockey and the Coaching Education Program require both certification and registration to be eligible to coach. Registration is done online on a yearly basis. Certification is also required. A few basic steps requirements are as follows:
USA Hockey Requirements (Must be completed before participating in any team activities)
- Register as a member of USA Hockey. Click here for more information.
- Complete the background screening. Click here.
- Complete the USA Hockey Safe Sport Training. (Required every year and cannot be added to a roster until completed). Click here for more information.
- Complete the online age-specific module(s) for the age level of play you are coaching. (Only needs to be completed once per age level. Must be completed PRIOR to participating in any team activities and cannot be added to a roster until completed) Click here to register for the modules.
Coaching Education Program Certification Clinic Requirements (Must be completed by Dec. 31, 2023)
- Find, register and attend the required certification clinic. The Cost is $55. You can only attend one clinic per season and all coaches start at Level 1. You can take clinics from April 1-Dec. 31 each season. Click here to locate a clinic.